Sunday, March 20, 2011

BLAST from the past

Do you ever listen to music from another era and think hmmm man that was a good song? Well this happens to me a lot, not quite sure why but some songs from the past are just too good to ever delete from your ipod. One of my interview questions from a recent job interview was "whats the most embarrassing song on your ipod?" I really didn't have an answer for him, I'm truly not embarrassed by anything on my ipod because ever song is amazing. The fact that I know word for word of almost all Neil Diamond songs is a little embarrassing, but I consider it a gift (or brainwashing from my mother).

There are some artists that totally remind me of my parents... Neil Young was one and I constantly remember it being played in my house, and every time I hear his distinct voice I think of being back home. Bruce Springsteen... Def. an obsession in the Brugman household, and I def. remember my mom flipping out when they got tickets and then lost them on the phone cause they got disconnected hahaha, but hey Baby we were born to run!! Mr Bob Dylan reminds me of my dad, cause when I was a kid he always played his music and I never understood why he thought his voice was good, thank god I grew up because now I understand EVERYTHING, it's pretty much amazing. Of course the Beatles were played often, but that's a given I guess. Neil Diamond was a frequent played cd, I remember singing and dancing with my mom to "she got the way to move me."
The Eagles were popular at or house, though I only remember singing along to "Hotel California."

Talking Heads.. no words to describe this band, I remember hearing "burning down the house" for the first time when my dad played it and I thought I had died and gone to heaven. This was my favorite kind of punk rock/pop to listen to because it was so weird but so good at the same time, "And She Was" is still one of my favorite songs to this day. My favorite memory is when I was looking through my dads cds in the basement when I was young, and I found the Talking Heads cd "Little Creatures" and the album cover really creeped me out so I wanted my dad to play it.


still creeps me out lol

Pink Floyd, The Who, and ROXY music were played often, yet I still don't quite understand what ROXY music actually is, I should probably download it one of these days :). I remember listening to "another brick in the wall" by Pink Floyd and then asking my dad, "does this mean I should drop out of school?" where he replied, "no, that's not the point of the song." lol

The Stones were one of my favorites, I loved me some Mick Jagger (and I still do)

Sometimes I feel bad for people who didn't have parents that loved music as much as I do. Most of my classic rock favorites are based on the fact that I heard them consistently when I was a kid. Last year my room mate and I were watching TV and some late night classic rock music special dvd came on and we literally knew every song that came on. Me and Abi def. had parents who loved music, and we still remember allll of the songs hahaha. That was a good time :)

Although my favorite music is Alternative and Punk Rock, I owe my music tastes to my classic rock favorites, and they will ALWAYS be my favorites!
Enjoy this video I found on YouTube!

No comments:

Post a Comment